This is my second finished gesso relief, you may remember it from a recent blog although it looked a little different then. I’m looking to experiment a lot more with this technique, but I’m very pleased with how this piece has turned out, now just to varnish it 🙂
We had friends round the other day and I was bought a lovely bunch of spring flowers which included some beautiful hyacinths. I was inspired to use one for a relief.
When pressing this into the clay I wasn’t sure how it was going to come out.But I went for it anyway, the challenge is the driving force for me.Peeling back the clay is very satisfying. This is how it turned out.It still needs a bit of cleaning up but I’m very pleased! 🙂
Second plaster/gesso experiment using one of my own lino blocks.
Discovered that it’s quite hard to get the impressions level, but I like the result.
Just got to think about colour now! 🙂
I had a fantastic day on a sculpture workshop at the Sainsbury Centre in Norwich yesterday with artist Desmond Brett. I learnt a variety of techniques that are accessible to me in my own art practice.Negative and positive casting, which included how to correctly mix the plaster. And some sculpture with found objects, Modroc and plaster. this was not using a preconceived idea we were to be led by the materials available.This was as far as I got in the time provided. I am very pleased with it.
I also did some plastering of myself! I had such a good day and learned loads 🙂
First painting in ‘Growth’ series finished.
Growth l – Acrylic on board
My Exhibition is over and taken down now, so it’s an Ideal time to develop a new technique. As an artist, new techniques are not often planned, they tend to just happen with experimentation, so just start painting and go with it!
These are works in progress.
This piece has had a healthy coating of homemade Gesso (over an old piece of work I didn’t want anymore) and then I just started applying paint. You can just see that the Gesso has started cracking where it was applied thick and which I think will add something to the finished piece.
This large canvas has been primed with Gesso and then I’ve applied a base colour before beginning to work the painting
This is the picture shown at the top on this page which has be worked into further.
So watch this space for progress! 🙂
I spent yesterday designing this years Christmas card. Yes I know it’s early, but if I don’t do it now I’d get to the beginning of December and would be struggling for inspiration even perhaps motivation in the business of the time of year!
I am really pleased with it and look forward to having it on sale 🙂