Printed Textile

I’ve just been inspired to work into and improve one of my old print blocks. I’ve cut into the basic shape to make it look more exciting.This image shows me testing the block on paper. I’ve made some extra test blocks in the shape of leaves to use with it.I’ve had this vintage anti-macassar for a while, already dyed with onion skins for me to print on. I’ve been waiting for just the right block to print on it with and decided this was it.Don’t you think it looks great on my Sofa! 🙂

Advertisements

A Lesson in Getting the Most out of Your Process

Remember this?Block 1 I did this.
Block 2 Printing on old cotton bed sheets is a good use of resources and saves waste and money. It doesn’t even matter what colour they are!

Wanting to get the print to look like my drawings, I dyed my fabric with watered down fabric printing ink in a variety of colours and printed over in black. A good result but I want to get my print more opaque.Block 3 When dyeing my fabric I had paper underneath that got coloured with the ink too, so I printed on that. Wow, I love it!Block 4 Some of that paper I used instead of discarding it, I made cards with.Block 5Always look for possibilities in your art waste or things you think are no good and maybe transform them into something worth keeping and using or giving as a gift 🙂

Having Fun With Surface Pattern

I’ve been having fun today with surface pattern on fabric and paper. I experimented with watering down my fabric printing inks on vintage bed sheets so just see how they reacted, then used the residue on paper. Looking good I think!Activity 1 Activity 2 Activity 3 Activity 4 Activity 5I’ll heat fix and see how the fabrics do. I have a sneaky feeling it’s going to be OK 🙂

Eco Dyeing

My second attempt at eco dyeing.

I took some vintage cotton, mordented with soya milk and wrapped frozen crocus petals in one, green honesty pods in one and turmeric shavings in the last one. I put them in my dye pot which still has some onion skin residue in it (I left this on purpose) and then I heated it and let it simmer away for a while.Eco dyeing 1Then left it for a few days before unveiling. Maybe two many days as it was a bit stinky! 🙂Eco dyeing 2 As I expected the fabric picked up the colour from the pan which I wanted. On unwrapping and after hand washing, the honesty hadn’t made and mark (right), the crocus have printed a lovely blue and yellow pattern (centre) and the Turmeric, as I expected has made a lovely speckled print.Eco dyeing 3I don’t know what will happen when they are dry, but I promise I’ll show you! 🙂

Dyeing and Stitching Sample

I love using up odd pieces of fabric that are not big enough to make something in themselves, that are too beautiful to throw away. Here is a sampler that might just turn into something of its own. Using vintage fabric dyed with onion skins, some printed, some lace and exploring stitches on my sewing machine.Textile 1You can never see the detail properly in a photograph, so closeups are necessary.

I love the way the tying marks look alongside the stitchesTextile 2Textile 3 and I always like a frayed edge.Textile 4Still some work to do though, I’ll keep you posted 🙂

A Special order finished

I’m pleased to say, a very special, special order is ready to go on its way to Germany. The lovely blue printed pillow covers that I was doing are finished. I had to look carefully for my contrasting fabric, because as you know I like to re-use and recycle!

These have been made with re-purposed vintage cotton sheets, dyed with tea and then hand printed. Contrasted with re-purposed denim.

Here are the three finished pillow covers.

P1020595 Pillow 1 Pillow 2 Pillow 3